Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Trees & Hedges: TPOs and Conservation Areas

Show all parts of this guide

5. High hedges

If your neighbour's tall hedge is blocking your view or restricting light levels to your property then you can make a formal complaint about the hedge under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003.

Our role is to act as an independent and impartial adjudicator. We cannot negotiate or mediate between parties and we can only get involved once you have tried and exhausted all other avenues to resolve your dispute. 

You must be able to answer 'yes' to all of the following points before we can get involved:

  • the hedge must be on residential land owned by your immediate neighbour
  • it must be made up of a line of 2 or more trees over 2 metres in height
  • it must be mostly evergreen
  • there may be gaps but it must be detracting from the reasonable enjoyment of your home or garden because it is too tall and is obstructing light or views
  • you must have proof of the attempts you have made to resolve the dispute


If you wish to complain you must complete the High Hedges Complaint form using the High Hedges guidance notes.

There is a fee of £350 for our involvement and you must include your payment with the completed form.