Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

Working without permission

You must find out what permission you need before you start building work.

If you make alterations or build something without permission, we can take enforcement action to get you to put things back to how they were originally.

We can also give you an enforcement notice if we give you permission to do something a certain way, but you do it differently.

Whether we take this action depends if we think the work you have done is unacceptable, harmful, or not in the public interest.

For information about planning enforcement, please contact us.

You can find out more about how to appeal an enforcement notice on the government’s webpages.

Enforcement plan

At Planning Member Working Group on 22 March 2016 the City Development Manager presented a report informing Members of the preparation of an Enforcement Plan to provide a framework within which the Council exercises its enforcement function under the Town and Country Planning Act and associated legislation. Planning Member Working Group endorsed the Plan.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 15 September 2020