Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Have your circumstances changed?

Show all parts of this guide

1. How will your benefits be affected?

If your circumstances change, please tell us as soon as possible. The change may mean that you are eligible for more Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. To make sure we can award you the extra benefit, we need to be told of any change within one month of it occurring.

If you do not tell us within that time, we can only change your benefit from the Monday following the date you tell us. This means you may lose money that you are entitled to.

If your change means that you get less benefit, it is better to tell us as soon as possible. If you tell us of changes as soon as they happen, we can adjust your claim quickly. This means you will be paid the right amount of benefit and it will help prevent overpayments from occurring. If you have been overpaid, we will expect you to pay it back or we will take it out of future benefit payments.

You must tell us of any changes in your circumstances even if you have already told the Department for Work and Pensions, Jobcentre Plus, tax credits etc.