2. Do I qualify for benefits?
You can claim Housing and Council Tax Support if you and any partner:
are liable to pay rent (for Housing Benefit)
are liable to pay Council tax (for Council Tax Support)
live in the property as your normal home
complete a claim form and provide all evidence and proofs requested
are working age and have under £16,000 in savings and capital for Housing Benefit and under £6,000 for Council Tax Support
have reached pensionable age and have under £16,000 in capital (unless receiving Guaranteed Pension Credit)
are not a member of an excluded group (see below)
See if you may qualify by using our online Benefits calculator
Some groups of people are excluded from receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. There are exceptions to these rules, so if you think you fall in to one of these groups then please contact us for more information.
People under 18 cannot claim Council Tax Support
Most full time students without children or not in receipt of disability benefits. However if you have a partner who is not a full time student, they may be able to claim
Living with and paying rent to a close relative. This is defined as the following:
- a parent, step-parent or parent-in-law
- brother or sister
- son, son-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, step-son, step-daughter or
- the partner of any of the above
- Some people from abroad. The rules are very complex and we strongly recommend that you contact us for advice
For further information:
- visit the Gov.uk website regarding British citizenship and moving to the UK.
- specialist information and advice is also available from the UK Border Agency website
For further independent advice you can visit the Citizens Advice website.