Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

What you need to know about benefits

Show all parts of this guide

2. Do I qualify for benefits?

Who qualifies

You can claim Housing and Council Tax Support if you and any partner:

  • are liable to pay rent (for Housing Benefit)

  • are liable to pay Council tax (for Council Tax Support)

  • live in the property as your normal home

  • complete a claim form and provide all evidence and proofs requested

  • are working age and have under £16,000 in savings and capital for Housing Benefit and under £6,000 for Council Tax Support

  • have reached pensionable age and have under £16,000 in capital (unless receiving Guaranteed Pension Credit)

  • are not a member of an excluded group (see below)

  • See if you may qualify by using an online Benefits calculator


Excluded Groups

Some groups of people are excluded from receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. There are exceptions to these rules, so if you think you fall in to one of these groups then please contact us for more information.

  • Most working age people in receipt of Universal Credit cannot claim Housing Benefit, unless one of the following apply:

    • live in certain supported accommodation; or

    • have reached pension age, you can check whether this applies to you by clicking on the link to the state pension age calculator; or

    • are part of a couple, one of you has reached state pension age and you were claiming Housing Benefit or state pension credit (as a couple) before 15 May 2019.

    • from 11 April 2018, you are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation.

  • People under 18 cannot claim Council Tax Support

  • Most full time students without children or not in receipt of disability benefits. However if you have a partner who is not a full time student, they may be able to claim

  • Living with and paying rent to a close relative. This is defined as the following:

    • a parent, step-parent or parent-in-law

    • brother or sister

    • son, son-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, step-son, step-daughter or

    • the partner of any of the above

  • Some people from abroad. The rules are very complex and we strongly recommend that you contact us for advice


For further information