Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

What you need to know about benefits

Show all parts of this guide

4. How benefit is paid

Housing Benefit

How and when Housing Benefit is paid depends on whether you rent from the council, a housing association or private landlord.

If you are a council tenant, you will have your Housing Benefit paid into your rent account.

If you are a private tenant and your claim is subject to Local Housing Allowance, then payments will be made into your bank account. This will happen by BACS every fortnight in arrears. You will no longer be able to ask for your benefit payments to be made to your landlord.

However we may pay your landlord if:

  • you are likely to have problems paying your rent
  • you are 8 or more weeks in arrears
  • you have failed to pay your rent in the past.

If your claim is not subject to Local Housing Allowance, payments will be made to either you or your landlord. These payments can be made by cheque or by BACS into your or your landlord's bank account.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is paid by reducing your Council Tax bill by the amount of support you are entitled to. When we award Council Tax Support, we award it until the end of the financial year (April to April). When you have a change of circumstance or your support ends, your bill is adjusted and a new one is sent to you. This will then show how much Council Tax is left to pay.