Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

What you need to know about benefits

Show all parts of this guide

3. Make a new benefit claim

Universal Credit

If you or your partner claim Universal Credit then:

  • in most cases you will receive your housing costs as part of the Universal Credit claim.
  • you will not be able to claim Housing Benefit from us.
  • you should still claim Council Tax Support from us if you need help with your Council Tax bill.

If you are in one of the following groups you should still make a claim for Housing Benefit with us:

  • live in certain supported accommodation; or
  • have reached pension age. You can check whether this applies to you by clicking on the link to the state pension age calculator; or
  • from 11 April 2018, you are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation.

If you do not fall into any of the categories above you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. 

If you are still eligible to claim Housing Benefit or wish to claim Council Tax Support please apply below.


Apply today

The online application form covers both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support:

Claiming today allows us to pay you from the earliest possible date. Completing the online claim form is the quickest way to make your application.

The form will ask for details of:

  • your household.
  • your income.
  • your savings and capital.
  • rent (if you pay it).


If you are renting from a private landlord we will need to see your tenancy agreement. Alternatively you can get your landlord to complete and sign a Proof of rent form [61kb].

The form will also ask you for evidence and proofs. You will need to provide these with your claim.

Remember: the earlier you complete the online form and provide us with the evidence, the quicker we can help you with your rent and Council Tax. 


Our freepost address (no stamp needed) is:

Exeter City Council
Civic Centre
Paris Street