Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Gambling permits

Show all parts of this guide

1. Overview

We issue five types of permits and one notification.  These are:

Family entertainment centre (FEC) permits

If an FEC has only category D machines available for use then an FEC permit can be issued by the Licensing Authority. No operator's licence is required from the Gambling Commission.

Club machine permits

You can apply for a club machine permit if you want to have gaming machines in a social club, miner's welfare institution or a commercial club.  With this permit a members club can have up to 3 category B3A, B4, C or D machines (to include a maximum of 1 B3A machine) and a commercial club can have up to 3 category B4, C or D machines (but no B3A).

Club gaming permit

You can apply for a club gaming permit if you want to have both gaming machines and also equal chance gaming (for example, poker) and games of chance in a social club or miner's welfare institution (commercial clubs can't hold a club gaming permit).  With this permit you can have up to 3 category B3A B4, C or D machines (to include a maximum of 1 B3A machine) and prize gaming.

Gaming machine permits

You can apply for a permit If your premises is licensed (under the Licensing Act 2003) to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises and you want to have more than 2 category C or D gaming machines.  To be able to apply the premises will need to have a bar that is used wholly or mainly for the sale or consumption of alcohol.

Prize gaming permit

If you want to run a premises that has facilities for gaming with prizes then you'll need a prize gaming permit (unless you are a club that holds a club gaming permit). Prize gaming is where there is a prize available that is not determined by the number of people taking part or by the amount paid or raised by the game.

Notification of automatic entitlement

Pubs and other alcohol licensed premises are automatically entitled to 2 category C or D gaming machines upon notification to the licensing authority.

A notification is not transferable. If there is a change of premises licence holder the existing notification will need to be cancelled and a new notification issued.