Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

May bank holiday bin collections

Domestic refuse and recycling collections due on Monday 25 May, will instead take place on Saturday 30 May. All other collections that week will remain as normal – find out when your bin is collected

Self-build and custom housebuilding

Show all parts of this guide

3. How to register?

To apply for entry on the register, please fill out the application form

Once completed you will need to save the form, including signing and dating it (see the declaration on the first page) then return it to the Council

By e-mail to:


By post to: City Development, Exeter City Council, Civic Centre, Paris Street, Exeter, EX1 1NN

What is the criteria for being eligible to be on the Register? 

To be eligible for entry on the Register you need to meet the following criteria:

  • You must be aged 18 or over.
  • You must be a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland.
  • You must want to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole or main home.

If the application is made by an association of individuals, then each member of the association must meet the eligibility criteria.

Applications from family groupings

Where applications are made as individuals by members of the same household they will be entered onto the register if the eligibility criteria are met.  To understand the nature of this demand from such applications, the City Council would need more information to understand why more than one sole or main residence would be required for a family group.  Otherwise, the register may ‘double count’ demand and distort the register. The City Council encourages you to take a different approach to the Register if you are seeking a plot to build a home to occupy jointly with a partner or other family members. Family groupings can apply as an association of individuals provided that the individuals meet the criteria for being eligible for entry on the register. Alternatively, just one member of the household can apply as an individual. Either way avoids ‘double counting’.