Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Building regulation approval

Show all parts of this guide

1. What needs building regulation approval?

1. What needs building regulation approval?

If you're building something new or making changes to an existing building, you may need building regulation approval to check the work you're doing meets certain safety and environmental standards. The building regulations impose minimum standards for building work that you are required by law to meet. 

You will probably need building regulation approval for: 

  • a new building
  • an extension
  • a loft conversion
  • alterations to the structure of a building
  • home improvements e.g. a new boiler, bathroom, fuse box, electrics, windows, doors and roofing 

If you are unsure if your project requires a Building Regulations application, are unsure of which type of application to make or if you wish to book an inspection please contact us online.

If you intend to carry out building work that is covered by building regulations you must tell us about the changes and make sure the work meets the regulations.

It is against the law not to tell us about changes you plan to make, and if you don't let us know you might have to correct the work or pay a fine.

There are also exemptions which may apply, which you may not need approval. You can find information on these exemptions from building regulations on the Planning Portal.