On the 3rd April 2018 the law changed with the implementation of the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017. This means that in most cases all Local Authorities in England will have a duty to either prevent or relieve your homelessness. There is also an expectation that you will cooperate with the Council so that we can find the best solution for you.
If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness then we may be able to help.
If you’re threatened with homelessness within 56 days or have a Notice from your landlord then we may have a duty to prevent you from becoming homeless. We can do this by
Helping you remain in your existing home
Helping you access alternative accommodation before you become homeless
We'll always try to prevent you from becoming homeless in the first instance. There are lots of services to help you to stay in your current home which can include help with benefits advice alongside mortgage advice if you own your own home, debt advice and negotiation with your landlord.
If staying in your current home isn't an option, we can help you look for a new home or other alternatives. If you've looked at all our options but still feel you could become homeless, you may be entitled to our help.
Are you are homeless, or likely to lose your home soon?
If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness within the next 8 weeks (56 days), please use our Contacting us for housing advice form to tell us about your circumstances. We will be in touch with you within one working day once you submit the form and will use the contact details you give us.
Do you rent privately?
- we can help if you are being harassed or threatened by your landlord, or if you have been locked out of your home, evicted or if the rent is being increased
- we can work with you and anyone who might try to make you homeless, to resolve your housing problems
- your landlord can contact us on your behalf (with your consent) if you are at risk of becoming homeless by visiting our Helping landlords who help tenants page.
Assistance with finding a home
We can help you with:
- your Devon Home Choice housing application
- looking at the housing options available to you, including temporary accommodation or private housing
- finding somewhere to stay tonight, in an emergency, when you have nowhere else to go