Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Garden waste suspension

Please note: all garden waste collections have been cancelled for 29 and 30 June and 1 July 2022We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause. 

Community infrastructure levy (CIL)

Show all parts of this guide

1. What is the CIL?

Money collected through the CIL can be used to help provide a wide range of infrastructure needed as a result of new developments, including transport facilities, flood defences, schools, sports facilities and open spaces.

CIL is usually applied at a fixed rate to all new residential development (excluding extensions and annexes) of 1 or more houses, or with a floor area of more than 100 square metres. This includes non-residential development. Different rates can be applied to different types of development and, where there is appropriate evidence, can be set at £0.00 per square metre.

Further background information is available: