Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

What is an empty home?

Show all parts of this guide

8. Enforced sale

Enforced sale enables the sale of an empty property to be forced by us via auction or to a preferred purchaser to enable the recovery of costs incurred in dealing with an empty property.

The housing enabling team will:

  • request that the owner carry out remedial work to the property through an improvement notice. If this fails and the owner does not carry out the remedial work, the work defaults to us
  • attach a legal charge to the title of the property if the owner does not repay the outstanding costs to us
  • Apply to Her Majesty's Land Registry to enforce the sale of the property according to the Law of Property Act 1925