Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

Private tenants handbook

Show all parts of this guide

15. Lodgers and resident landlords

You are a lodger if you rent a room in your landlord’s home and share facilities and sometimes bills.

Right to rent immigration checks

Lodgers are required to prove that they have a right to rent in the UK. If you become a lodger after the 1 February 2016 your landlord should ask you for proof your right to live in the UK.

Rental agreements

Your landlord does not need to give you a written agreement however it is recommended as it sets out the rights and responsibilities of both you and your landlord.

Council Tax and utility bills

It should be written into your rental agreement how the payment of council tax and utility bills is to be charged by your landlord.


A landlord is free to charge you any rent that they choose, but they cannot raise the rent if you have a fixed-term agreement. If you are paying your rent weekly then the landlord must, but law, provide you with a rent book.

Deposits for lodgers

The landlord may ask you to pay a deposit but they are not required to protect it under tenancy deposit protection rules. A deposit can be used by the landlord to cover missed rental payments, missing or damaged items, the cost of cleaning etc.

It is good practice to agree an inventory of any rooms you will be using prior to moving in.

Landlord's obligations

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that the property is always in good repair and free from health and safety hazards.

If the landlord wants to end the agreement

If you have a periodic agreement then the landlord can evict you at any time with reasonable notice.  If you have a fixed-term agreement, then you have a right to remain in the property until the fixed-term has come to an end, unless your agreement includes a break clause.

The landlord can give you notice verbally and it does not have to be in writing, unless you agreed otherwise in your rental agreement. If you do not leave the property when your landlord asks you will be considered to be trespassing.


More information is available in the Tenants Handbook.