Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

Private tenants handbook

Show all parts of this guide

7. When you move in

There are a number of things you should do as soon as you move into your property.

Why an inventory matters

It is important to have an accurate record of the condition of the walls, floor coverings, appliances and furniture when you move in. Anything that is damaged or in need of repair or cleaning should be noted. An inventory can help if there are any disagreements about damage at the end of the tenancy.

Meter Readings

It is important to take readings from the gas, electric and water meters and contact the utility companies to give your details and the date that you moved into the property.

Contents insurance

Your landlord is generally responsible for the building’s insurance but you will have to insure your belongings. The buildings insurance will cover the fixtures and fittings within the home but will not cover your property.

Council tax

You should notify the Council Tax department as soon as you move in. You can do this using your online account or complete and return the Moving In form on the council’s website.

How to Rent Guide

From 1 October 2015 your landlord will need to prove that you were given you a copy of the latest version of the How to rent guide: the checklist for renting in England at the beginning of a tenancy.


More information is available in the Tenants Handbook.