See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Premises licences

Show all parts of this guide

5. Apply for a club premises certificate

You can apply for a club premises certificate if you’re a qualifying members club and you want to provide licensable activities to your club members and their guests.

The relevant licensable activities are:

  • the supply of alcohol to club members and their guests
  • the provision of regulated entertainment to club members and their guests.  This includes: 
    • theatrical performances
    • showing of films
    • indoor sporting events
    • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
    • live music
    • recorded music
    • dance

What is a qualifying club?

To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
  • it is established and conducted in good faith
  • it has at least 25 members

Why hold a club premises certificate rather than a premises licence?

The benefits of holding a club premises certificate are that:

  • nobody needs to hold a personal licence to sell or supply alcohol
  • you don't need to name a designated premises supervisor
  • police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private


You'll be charged a fee for this application and an annual charge.

Premises Licence Fees are determined by the non domestic rateable value of the premises.

If you don't know your non domestic rateable value of the premises please see Valuation Office Agency website

Band  Initial application fee  Annual fee 
A (No RV to £4300) £100 £70.00
B (£4301 to £33000) £190 £180.00
C (£33001 to £87000) £315 £295.00
D (£87001 to £12500) £450.00 £320.00
E (£125001 and above) £635.00 £350.00

 * An additional fee is payable for premises exclusively or primarily carrying on the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises for events of 5,000 or more persons. Please telephone us on 01392 265702 for more details.

Other services available online

Related documents

Start the journey


More info about the journey

You'll need a credit or debit card if paying online.

You'll need a plan of the premises.

You'll need a copy of your club rules.

You'll need to put up public notices at the premises and advertise a copy of the notice in a local newspaper.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it and there will then be 28 days (from the day after we accept the application) when anyone can make a representation.  

If no representations are received your application will be granted and we'll send you your club premises certificate in the post.  

If representations are received then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.  

You can fill in a paper version of the form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office.

You will need to fill in the application form and send this to us with:

If you are completing a paper version a full copy must also be sent to each of the other responsible authorities. If you apply online then we'll do this for you.

You'll need to display public notices at the premises and in the newspaper.